Saturday 26 February 2011

Meditation

I have a tendency to be anxious. Those who know me well would claim that this is an understatement.  In order to slow the unravelling of my telomeres I meditate regularly – more or less . Being an early riser, I tend to meditate first thing in the morning when the house is still. I find chanting, or focusing on my breathing, very effective ways of entering and maintaining a meditative state.
Loving Kindness meditation is another form of meditation - its powerful effects of on one’s state of "happiness" and focus have been scientifically quantified and documented. Whenever I practice Loving Kindness meditation, I am aware that I “return to earth” with a smile on my face.
Another favoured form of meditation is green meditation – gardening. It definitely stills my mind but I can’t vouch for its effects on those magical telomeres.

For those who are interested ……………..

Love and Kindness (Happiness) Meditation is:
  • a form of guided emotional imagery
  • explicitly targets positive emotions – you must experience positive emotions while mediating to get any benefit.
  • needs to be practised daily for approximately 3 months  to become effective.
To be continued .............. Instructions for Loving Kindness Meditation. 

No comments: